|⇐ Back||Page||⇑ First|
The following instructions provide the important first steps of updating the system after a fresh installation.
- The ubuntu login prompt will be displayed.
Ubuntu 18.04 LTS ubuntu tty1 ubuntu login:
- Enter your user credentials at the login and password prompts. After successfully logging in, a Welcome to Ubuntu banner similar to the following will be displayed.
Welcome to Ubuntu 18.04 LTS (GNU/Linux 4.15.0-24-generic x86_64) * Documentation: https://help.ubuntu.com * Management: https://landscape.canonical.com * Support: https://ubuntu.com/advantage System information as of Tue Jul 3 10:27:00 UTC 2018 System load: 0.63 Processes: 93 Usage of /: 3.2% of 124.01GB Users logged in: 0 Memory usage: 26% IP address for eth0: 192.168.1.100 Swap usage: 0% * Meltdown, Spectre and Ubuntu: What are the attack vectors, how the fixes work, and everything else you need to know - https://ubu.one/u2Know * Canonical Livepatch is available for installation. - Reduce system reboots and improve kernel security. Activate at: https://ubuntu.com/livepatch 97 packages can be updated. 46 updates are security updates. The programs included with the Ubuntu system are free software; the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright. Ubuntu comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by applicable law. To run a command as administrator (user "root"), use "sudo <command>". See "man sudo_root" for details.
Note the number of available package updates listed in the welcome banner.
- Install the latest package and security updates, using the following commands:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get -y upgrade && sudo apt-get -y autoremove
- Provide your password when prompted.All available updates will be downloaded an installed, which may take some time to complete.
- Reboot the system, using the following command:
After the reboot and logging back in, the number of available package updates listed in the welcome banner should now be zero.
0 packages can be updated. 0 updates are security updates.
Ubuntu Server 18.04 is now ready for service!
|⇐ Back||Page||⇑ First|4