|⇐ Back||Page||Next ⇒|
WordPress is a free and open-source content management system (CMS) based on PHP and MySQL featuring a plugin architecture and a template system. WordPress was used by more than 53% of all websites as of January 2018, and is reported as the most popular website management or blogging system in use on the entire Internet.
The following instructions are used to install WordPress on Windows Server 2016 using PowerShell.
- Change into the Downloads directory, using the following PowerShell command:
- Set temporary variables to be used during the WordPress installation, using the following PowerShell commands:
$IIS_PATH = "$env:SystemDrive\inetpub" $WORDPRESS_PATH = "$IIS_PATH\wordpress" $WORDPRESS_URL = "https://wordpress.org/latest.zip" $WORDPRESS_ZIP = "wordpress.zip"
- Download and install WordPress, using the following PowerShell commands:
Invoke-WebRequest "$WORDPRESS_URL" -OutFile "$WORDPRESS_ZIP" Expand-Archive "$WORDPRESS_ZIP" "$IIS_PATH"
- Grant the IIS_IUSRS and IUSR accounts Modify rights to the WordPress directory, using the following PowerShell commands:
Add-NTFSAccess $WORDPRESS_PATH IIS_IUSRS Modify Add-NTFSAccess $WORDPRESS_PATH IUSR Modify
- Create a new Internet Information Services application pool for WordPress, using the following PowerShell commands:
$WebAppPool = New-WebAppPool "WordPress" $WebAppPool.managedPipelineMode = "Classic" $WebAppPool.managedRuntimeVersion = "" $WebAppPool | Set-Item
- Create a new Internet Information Services website for WordPress, using the following PowerShell command:
New-Website "WordPress" -ApplicationPool "WordPress" -PhysicalPath "$WORDPRESS_PATH"
- Remove the “Default Web Site” and start the new “WordPress” website.
Remove-Website "Default Web Site" Start-Website "WordPress"
WordPress is now installed on Windows Server 2016 and ready to be configured.
Now that WordPress is installed, it must be configured by completing a few simple steps. These actions must be performed from a workstation using a web browser.
- Use a web browser to connect to your new WordPress site, using either the Hostname or IP Address. The Language page will be displayed.
- Select your preferred Language and click Continue. The Let’s go page will be displayed.
- Click Let’s go! The Database Connection Details page will be displayed.
From the Database Connection Details page, complete the details as shown in the following table:
Field Value Database Name wordpress Username wordpress Password ******** Database Host localhost Table Prefix wp_
- Click Submit. The Run the install page will be displayed.
- Click Run the install. The Welcome page will be displayed.
From the Welcome page, complete the details as described in the following table:
Field Description Site Title This is the name of your WordPress site. Username The username for your site Administrator account. Password The password for your site Administrator account. Confirm Password If you choose to use a weak password, this field will be displayed to ask your confirmation for the use of the weak password. Your Email The email address for your site Administrator account. Search Engine Visibility Whether search engines should be discouraged from indexing this WordPress site.
- Click Install WordPress.The Success! page will be displayed.
- Click Log In. The Log In page will be displayed.
- Enter your log in credentials, and then click Log In. The WordPress Dashboard page will be displayed. WordPress is now configured on Windows Server 2016 and ready to be customised.
|⇐ Back||Page||Next ⇒|